About this grant
The Wellness, Arts, and the Military (WAM) General Operating Support Grant provides up to $35,000 to organizations that offer arts programs to military connected individuals and communities.
For the purposes of this grant, “military connected individuals” is defined as U.S. military active-duty service members, guardsmen, reservists, veterans, and their families and caretakers.
- Up to $35,000
- No matching funds required
- Application open: September 1, 2023
- Application deadline: October 13, 2023
- Notifications sent: November 1, 2023
Who is eligible to apply?
- Washington State non-profit organization with 501(c)(3) status
- Washington State tribal, state, or municipal government agency
- National non-profit organization with Washington State chapter(s), for example Veterans of Foreign Wars
Who is not eligible to apply?
- Political or advocacy organizations
- Organizations seeking to fund projects or programs that promote religious content or observance
- Washington State for-profit businesses
Additional eligibility requirements:
- minimum two years in continuous operation (organizations may have paused programming due to the pandemic but not ceased operations completely)
- minimum two years of arts programming for military connected individuals
- minimum of one professional staff person trained to work with military connected individuals in non-clinical settings
- minimum of one professional staff person with experience managing arts programs
- SWV Number: Organizations must have an SWV (Statewide Vendor) number to receive grant funds from the state. An SWV number is not required to apply but must be registered and up to date before funds are given. An SWV number can take up to three weeks to be assigned. If your organization has received payment from Washington State in the past, it is likely you already have an SWV number. You can check on the status of your SWV number by using the vendor number lookup.
- Board approved operating budgets, with actuals for income and program expenses, for the last two completed years of operation. If operations were paused due to the pandemic also include your board approved budget, with actuals for income and program expenses, for 2019
- IRS Letter of Determination
- Most recently filed IRS form 990
Eligible uses for grant funds:
- Use of funds: Grant recipients must use the funds for costs incurred from July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024. Funds must be spent by June 30, 2024. ArtsWA can make no exceptions to this deadline.
- Reimbursement: This is a reimbursement grant. Grant recipients can submit up to three reimbursement requests or submit one request for the full amount of the grant. We ask that all reimbursement requests be submitted by June 15, 2024 to best facilitate payment by the close of the funding period (June 30, 2024). ArtsWA will send full reimbursement instructions at the time of grant award.
- Documentation: Grant recipients must track expenses, keep clear and precise records and receipts, and provide additional appropriate and timely documentation if requested.
- Final report: Grant recipients must complete a final report by July 31, 2024. ArtsWA staff will send instructions.
Grant funds may NOT be used for:
- Regranting to individuals or organizations
- Regranting as scholarships
- Renovation, remodeling, restoration, or new construction of buildings
- Purchase of permanent equipment with a cost of $5,000 and up or real property
- Travel outside of Washington State
- Costs and/or activities outside the grant period (July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024)
- Previous losses/debts incurred by the organization
- Costs and/or activities that have already received state appropriations (for example, an applicant may not use these grants funds for costs that are already being funded by a different state agency)
Grant applications must be completed and submitted online between September 1, 2023 and October 13, 2023.
We will make no exceptions regarding the application deadline.
ArtsWA will accept applications online through Submittable. If you do not have a Submittable account, you will be prompted to register prior to accessing the online application. Submittable recommends using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari as web browsers.
Please take your time when completing the application. Your work will be automatically saved as you move through the questions if you are connected to the internet. The application does not need to be completed in one sitting.
After the closing date of October 13, 2023, applications will be reviewed, and final determinations will be made. Applicants will be notified of their application status, as well as next steps, on or by November 1, 2023.
Make sure that the contact email you provide is appropriate for receiving emails from ArtsWA.
ArtsWA is the Washington State Arts Commission. The Washington State Legislature and the National Endowment for the Arts fund our programs. Grants are contingent on available state and federal funding. ArtsWA complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning civil and human rights. For more information regarding ArtsWA’s policies on Accessibility, Diversity, and Nondiscrimination, click here.
Let us know if individuals involved with your organization also have an affiliation with ArtsWA. This includes ArtsWA staff, commissioners, consultants, contractors, current grant panelists, etc., or immediate family members of any of the former, who are affiliated with your organization. This is for transparency only; the panel will review your application without bias. Read our full Conflict of Interest policy.
Unsuccessful applicants may appeal in accordance with Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 30.12.036, found here.