In service of early learning educators, children, families, and communities.
Creative Start is Washington State’s first statewide arts integration and early learning program. The program supports regional grants, gatherings, and professional learning opportunities.
Creative Start program goals:
- Support creative, academic, and social emotional learning to close the opportunity gap for Washington’s youngest learners.
- Foster statewide teacher-leadership in culturally responsive arts integration.
- Develop statewide capacity to offer high-quality professional learning.
Our Creative Start team works in partnership with:
- The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI);
- the Department of Children, Youth, and Families (DCYF);
- Washington’s nine Educational Service Districts (ESD’s).
What is Culturally Responsive Arts Integration?
Culturally responsive arts integration methods bring arts into all aspects of teaching and learning. Students and teachers explore and share understandings of new ideas through a variety of art forms. This kind of teaching connects to the cultures and lived experiences of teachers, students, communities, and families.
This new program supports communities ready to adopt an early learning arts integration plan. It provides culturally-responsive professional learning and site-based workshops.
Applications open February 21, 2020 through March 20, 2020.
COMING SOON. This grant supports regional arts integration programming, professional learning, and partnerships between Educational Service Districts, school districts, teaching artists, and early learning educators.