(for Teachers & their Classes)
Registration is Closed
- Poetry Out Loud is open to any school in Washington State serving grades 9-12.
- Participating schools are encouraged to identify 2-3 teachers with one POL program coordinator to manage school finals, or act as the single point of contact for the school’s POL teachers. Exceptions may be made- Please contact us with questions.
- Registered schools will work with a regional coordinator as school champions move on to compete in one of four regional finals. Regional champions will move on to the state final.
- All students are eligible for participation and advancement in this program.
Individual Student Registration
Registration is Closed
- Individual students may register for Washington POL Virtual if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The student is homeschooled in Washington State, or
- The student attends a high school in Washington State that is not participating/registered in POL, or
- The student is a resident of Washington State attending an online, hybrid, or international school.
- No more than 4 students from an individual school can register for POL Virtual.
- Students participating in POL Virtual will need to access to a computer and reliable internet.
- POL Virtual will hold its own online competition. The champion will go on to represent POL Virtual at the in-person State Final in March.
Program Timeline – Haga clic acá para leer esto en español.
- School Registration opens: August 21, 2023
- POL Virtual Registration opens: September 18, 2023
- All Registration closes: November 17, 2023
- Classroom Implementation/POL Virtual: between September 2023 and early January 2024
- School Finals deadline: January 19, 2024
- Regional Finals deadline: February 4, 2024; individual dates vary
- State Final: March 9, 2024
- National Finals: April 30 – May 2, 2024
For basic information about this program, please read our Poetry Out Loud Fact Sheet.
There is no registration cost. Curricular materials are free and available online. In addition to classroom resources, ArtsWA provides additional support to participating teachers. Please visit our Resources for Teachers & Students page to learn more.
National Program Sponsors
Washington Program Partners
ArtsWA partners with organizations across the state. These partners support school and student participation and regional finals.
ArtsWA engages teacher leadership in guiding the program, and exploring opportunities for teachers and students to further connect through poetry. For the 2022-23 school year Carolyn Gilman, from Olympia High School, will bring her decade and more of knowledge and enthusiasm for Poetry Out Loud to the role of statewide Teacher Liaison.