Options are available for Poetry Out Loud participants this year
Registration for the 2021-22 school year is now closed.
(for Teachers & their Classes)
- Poetry Out Loud is open to any school in Washington State serving grades 9-12.
- Participating schools are encouraged to identify 2-3 teachers with one POL program coordinator to manage school finals, or act as the single point of contact for the school’s POL teachers. Exceptions may be made- Please contact us with questions.
- Registered schools will work with a regional coordinator as school champions move on to compete in one of four regional finals. Regional champions will move on to the state final.
- All students are eligible for participation and advancement in this program.
Individual Student Registration
- Individual students may register for Washington POL Virtual if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The school they attend is not a participating/registered POL school
- They are homeschooled
- No more than 4 students from an individual school can registers for POL Virtual, (the school will be encouraged to register).
- Students participating in POL Virtual will need to access to a computer and reliable internet.
- POL Virtual will hold its own online competition. The champion will go on to represent POL Virtual at the in-person State Final in March (health and safety policies pending).
Teachers new to POL may audit POL Virtual while their students participate in the program with the POL Starter feature. Teachers may only be enrolled in POL Starter for one program year. If you are interested in participating in POL Starter, contact the POL State Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration opens: August 16, 2021
- Registration closes: November 19, 2021
- Classroom Implementation/POL Virtual: between September 2021 and early January 2022
- School Finals deadline: January 21, 2022
- Regional Finals deadline: February 7, 2022; individual dates vary
- State Final: March 12, 2022
- State Final available for public viewing on YouTube: by March 21st,
- National Finals: All 55 state and jurisdictional finalists will participate in the national semifinals that will stream on Sunday, May 1st, with the top nine students advancing to the national finals, that will stream on Sunday, June 5th. Both the semifinals and finals will be streamed at arts.gov.
For basic information about this program, please read our Poetry Out Loud Fact Sheet.
There is no registration cost. Curricular materials are free and available online. In addition to classroom resources, ArtsWA provides additional support to participating teachers. Please visit our Resources for Teachers & Students page to learn more.
National Program Sponsors
Washington Program Partners
ArtsWA partners with organizations across the state. These partners support school and student participation and regional finals.
ArtsWA also engages teacher leadership in guiding the program, and exploring opportunities for teachers and students to further connect through poetry.
- East Side: Dori Whitford, Mead High School, Spokane
- West Side: Amy Solo, North Thurston High School, Lacey