We are committed to responding to all requests for public records as quickly as possible. The Washington State Public Records Act (RCW 42.56) requires that your public records request include a reasonable description that would allow ArtsWA to locate the records. A general question is not a public records request.
Exemptions to public records requests
The Public Records Act states that certain records are exempt from disclosure. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain. They include:
- Information about agency personnel, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes, and employment applications
- Records relating to a current investigation
- Privilege communication between agency staff and the Attorney General’s Office
- Information that, if released, would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in RCW 42.56.210
How to request a public record
By Mail: Send a letter stating your public records request. This must include your name, mailing address, phone number, and a clear description of the specific records you request. Incomplete information may cause us to return your request.
By E-mail: You may also e-mail your request to ArtsWA Public Records Officer, Washington State Arts Commission (ArtsWA), firstname.lastname@example.org. Include all the information required of the written, mailed requests, as described above.
By Fax: You may request public records, as described above, by faxing your request letter to (360) 586-5351. Please make sure you address your fax request c/o ArtsWA Public Records Officer.
In Person: You may drop off your written request at our offices, 711 Capitol Way S., Suite 600, Olympia. Include all the information required of the written, mailed requests, as described above.
After we receive your request, the Public Records Officer will evaluate your request and may contact you for clarification if needed. We are required to respond to your request within five business days. However, please note that collection of the requested records may take longer. We will notify you as soon as we collect the requested information. We will ask how you would like the information delivered:
- Regular U.S. postal mail
- Pickup at our Olympia office
- Scan and email (dependent on electronic size of the scanned files)
ArtsWA will calculate any copying costs and notify you of the charge in advance.
- There is no charge for paper record requests that are less than 40 pages
- ArtsWA charges 15 cents a page for documents more than 40 pages long
- ArtsWA charges the actual costs for duplicating audiotapes, videotapes, photographs, and computer diskettes, according to RCW 42.56.070 (7) and (8) and RCW 42.56.120.
- You may be pre-billed for the records
- Exemption and Prohibition – Statutes Not Listed in Chapter 42.56 RCW