About this Grant
Arts groups, arts organizations, and arts institutions contribute to the quality of life and to the welfare of the people of our state. ArtsWA seeks to support arts organizations across the state as they navigate fundamental changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of an increase in applications to our funding programs, we have limited the amount available to each organization.
- Grants of $1,500, $3,000 or $5,000 for general operating support.
- No funding match required
- Application Opens: March 29, 2021
- Application Deadline: May 17, 2021, 5:00pm
- Notification of Grant Award: by July 16, 2021
- When Funds will be Distributed: After expenses are incurred and documentation provided
- Final Report Due: July 31, 2022
- Nonprofit arts and cultural organizations with an annual operating budget over $350,000 to $1 million +.
- To be eligible, nonprofit arts and cultural organizations must have current federal tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, including those affiliated with tribal organizations.
- All applicants must have a minimum of one-year-history of providing continuous arts programming prior to the pandemic.
- For-profit organizations
- Political or advocacy organizations
- Organizations based outside of Washington
Applications submitted by the deadline are reviewed by ArtsWA staff for completion and eligibility. Complete and eligible applications are sent to scoring panel for evaluation.
Evaluation and Scoring Panel
A panel of arts professionals, ArtsWA commissioners and staff evaluate eligible applications. Panelists use scoring criteria to give a numerical score to each application. An application’s final score is the combined average of all panelists scores.
Panel Recommendations and Board Approval
- The Scoring Panel makes funding recommendations based on numerical scores.
- Funding recommendations are presented to the ArtsWA Executive Director for approval.
Notification of Award
Notifications are sent to applicants approximately four to six weeks of application submission.
- Financial Need, Planning and Strategy (10 points)
- Arts and Cultural Programming (Artistic Merit) (10 points)
- Communities Served (10 points)
Financial Need, Planning and Strategy: The organization demonstrates financial need and thoughtful strategy and planning for moving forward.
Describe how the pandemic has impacted your organization’s operations and services (make sure your response is succinct).
Tell the Scoring Panel how receiving funding will help you move forward, such as plans to move programming online and related costs. 3 Pandemic Relief Grants for Large Organizations
Arts and Cultural Programming (Artistic Merit): The organization’s mission, programs, and services are focused on arts and/or cultural programing.
Provide your organization or group’s mission statement and list all programs/services that demonstrate:
- Access to arts and culture experiences for the public including arts/culture education programs.
- Services culturally relevant to communities the organization serves – be specific in your response.
- Quality programming.
Communities Served: The community served by the organization is reflective of Washington’s diverse populations including cultural diversity, artistic disciplines, geographic locations, and underserved populations.
Describe the communities your organization serves. Application narrative examples can include (but are not limited to):
- Participation of underserved populations as leads, presenters, participants, and audiences. Include people of color, LGBTQ+, people who live in rural areas, people with disabilities, people who identify as immigrants or refugees, and people whose first (or only) language is not English and people most impacted by social/economic inequities. (This is not an exhaustive list.)
Please review Grant Guidelines for complete information.
- Current nonprofit status with the Internal Revenue Service
- Your last completed year’s operating budget
- SWV registration with the State of Washington
- DUNS number
- Relief Grants for Large Organizations Guidelines (PDF)
- Relief Grants for Large Organizations – Application Guide – Includes Application Questions (PDF)
- Operating Budget Template (XLSX)
- Allowable Expenses (PDF)
Apply Online Via ZoomGrants
Applications must be submitted through our online grant platform, Zoom Grants. This program has a rolling deadline. Applications are accepted until 5:00pm on the final deadline date.