2013 State Finalists
Langston Ward, of Mead High School, in Spokane, won the 2013 state Poetry Out Loud finals with his recitations of The Gift by Li-Young Lee, The Bad Old Days by Kenneth Rexroth, and A March in the Ranks Hard-Prest, and The Road Unknown by Walt Whitman. Tom Zbyszewski from Liberty Bell High School was the Runner Up. Honorable Mentions were awarded to Meghan Mulcahy from Olympia High School, Mennah El-Gammal from Northshore Junior High School, and Ben Caldwell from Vancouver School of Arts and Academics.
- Langston Ward, reciting "A March in the Ranks Hard-Prest and the Road Unknown," by Walt Whitman
- Tom Zbszewski, reciting "Dover Beach," by Matthew Arnold
- Ben Caldwell, reciting "The Greatest Grandeur," by Pattiann Rogers
- Mennah El-Gammal, reciting "La Belle Dame sans Merci: A Ballad," by John Keats
- Meghan Mulcahy, reciting "A Locked House," by W.D. Snodgrass