What is a Creative District?
A Creative District is a hub of social and business activity. It includes cultural facilities and creative industries. It’s a vehicle to grow jobs in the arts and creative industries of all kinds. It can make the most of a community's strong arts and cultural heritage. And it showcases the innovation and entrepreneurship Washington is known for.
Using the “Colorado Creative Industries” program as a model, the state legislature passed a bill in 2017 to fund the Creative Districts program. ArtsWA has created this program to promote and support the creative industries in Washington to:
• expand the economy
• grow jobs and
• enhance our quality of life.
How would a Creative District designation benefit my community?
Your community will be able to attract creative entrepreneurs, new industries and additional investment. A state certification can help to leverage grant funding and other opportunities to support the development of the arts, creative and maker spaces, and housing opportunities.
The designation can be used to promote your community’s unique identity, characteristics, and values. And it can bring members of your community - businesses, nonprofits, local government and citizens - together to develop their future.
How will ArtsWA support my community?
ArtsWA’s role is to guide communities as they seek District certification and implement their programs. We will provide a support system so that you can create long-term economic and cultural opportunities in your community. We:
- Provide resources to help you plan your program
- Offer guidance throughout the planning process
- Administer a rigorous and fair application process
If your community becomes a Certified Creative District, ArtsWA will provide:
- Ongoing support and advocacy
- Access to training programs
- Continuous technical assistance
- Networking opportunities
- Grant identification and additional funding opportunities
- Promotion of success stories to the public, elected officials, and other stakeholders