WAC 30-12-036 - Appealing a decision of the ArtsWA board
You may appeal a decision of ArtsWA board, under the Appeal procedure – Request for review of denied applications, per our rules (WAC 30-12-036). The procedure is summarized here for informational purposes only and does not supersede the official rules.
The appeal must be filed in writing with the Washington State Arts Commission, no later than 21 calendar days after the date the denial was sent. The appeal must contain the factual or technical reasons why you believe the denial is in error.
The appeal letter should be sent to the attention of:
Karen Hanan, Executive Director
Washington State Arts Commission
PO Box 42675, Olympia, WA 98504-2675.
Once the letter is received
- The Executive Director (presiding officer) or a designee will preside over the appeal.
- The applicant and the presiding officer may consult with staff to examine the original application and the panel process.
- The presiding officer may consider additional relevant information.
- The presiding officer will notify the applicant and the ArtsWA board of the decision in a brief written statement called the “Initial Order.” There is no timeline for issuing the Initial Order.
- The applicant or the board may request, orally or in writing, a further review of the Initial Order within 21 days. This is called a “Request for Administrative Review.” If a review is not requested, the Initial Order becomes final.
The Process for Administrative Review
- The Board Chair or designee serves as reviewing officer in this stage and may review the Initial Order without notice to the parties.
- The reviewing officer ensures that all parties have the opportunity to explain their views and may rely on the record of the process, explanations by the parties, and other relevant information.
- The reviewing officer notifies the applicant and commission of the decision within 21 calendar days; this is the Final Order.
- The applicant may petition for judicial review by superior court per RCW 34.05.510.
If you have any questions regarding ArtsWA's Appeal Procedure, call 360.753.3860.