Public Records Requests
We are committed to responding to all requests for public records as quickly as possible. The Washington State Public Records Act (RCW 42.56) requires that the public records requested are “identifiable.” Your public records request must include a reasonable description that would allow ArtsWA to locate the records. A general question is not a public records request.
Exemptions to public records requests: The Act states that certain records are exempt from disclosure. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain. They include:
- Information about agency personnel, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes, and employment applications
- Records relating to current investigation
- Privilege communication between agency staff and the Attorney General's Office
- Information, that if released, would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210)
How to request a public record
By Mail: Send a letter stating your public records request, which must include your name, mailing address, phone number, and a clear description of the specific records being requested. Incomplete information may cause your request to be returned to you.
By E-mail: You may also e-mail your request to ArtsWA Public Records Officer, Washington State Arts Commission (ArtsWA), email@example.com. Include all the information required of the written, mailed requests, as described above.
By Fax: You may request public records, as described above, by faxing your request letter to (360) 586-5351. Please make sure you address your fax request c/o ArtsWA Public Records Officer.
In Person: You may drop off your written request at our offices, 711 Capitol Way S., Suite 600, Olympia. Include all the information required of the written, mailed requests, as described above.
Once we receive the public records request, the Public Records Officer will evaluate your request and may contact you for clarification if needed. We are required to respond to your request within five business days. However, please note that collection of the requested records may take longer. As soon as the requested information is collected, you will be notified and asked how you would like the information delivered:
- Regular U.S. postal mail
- Pickup at our Olympia office
Scan and email (dependent on electronic size of the scanned files)
ArtsWA will calculate any copying costs and notify you of the charge in advance.
- There is no charge for paper record requests that are less than 40 pages
- ArtsWA charges 15 cents a page for documents more than 40 pages long
- ArtsWA charges the actual costs for duplicating audiotapes, videotapes, photographs, and computer diskettes, according to RCW 42.56.070 (7) and (8) and RCW 42.56.120.
- You may be pre-billed for the records
- Exemption and Prohibition - Statutes Not Listed in Chapter 42.56 RCW